24 JUNE 1963 — BREWSTER BENCH REDEDICATION
The Brewster Bench, originally designated as the Plymouth Bench and marker were first placed and dedicated in Plymouth, Massachusetts, by our National Society, Daughters of the American Colonists on August 11, 1923, the 300th anniversary of the arrival of the ship “Anne”. As time passed, the spot where they stood became neglected and the material of which the bench was made gradually disintegrated. Lest they be lost completely, the Society voted at its 1963 General Assembly to order a new bench, in which the original bronze marker by be placed, and to move the location of the bench to the Brewster Garden, so that it might receive the proper attention and care. The second bench, now called the “Brewster Bench”, was then rededicated at ceremonies on June 24, 163 by the National Society. The “Brewster Bench” was dedicated in honor of the most revered citizen of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Elder Brewster, and to pay tribute to the maidens, wives and daughters who came to comfort, support, and assist the colonist planters in the foundation of our great nation.
The new bench now has the original “Plymouth Bench” bronze marker and also has the following inscription on the bench edge:
REDEDICATED JUNE 24, 1963